The process to create a modern internet siteAs we have already said in some previous articles, our company invests a lot of resources for continuous training, to keep up with the times, to ride the wave that, in this sector, is in continuous regeneration. Over time we have created a process, a sort of project guideline to create a modern, avant-garde, design website that is obviously optimized for search engines.
As with all things, we have returned to our ideas over and over again, erasing phases, proposing others, changing the timing and the people involved ... but this is precisely the richness of our final report.
Today we decided to undress, not because summer is finally coming and the costume test is upon us (I'm not ready, I'm definitely not ready!), But because we want to make ourselves as transparent as possible with our readers and with our customers . So here is the fantastic, wonderful and sparkling process of creating a Glacom website.
1. The goal identificationIt all starts with a deep and stimulating brainstorming session with the client. Understanding the values of the company, its philosophy, the particularity of the products and / or services it offers, the sales or promotion methods, as well as the public and the target audience is essential to create a truly personalized project, 100% tailored.
This meeting is important both for the Client who thus has the opportunity to get to know the entire Glacom team (and believe me, when you look at each other and have specific reference people for any problems or questions, it is completely another story), both for the staff of our web agency who can identify and fully immerse themselves in the task they have to face.
Small pizzas, sweets and drinks for everyone, this is obvious.
2. The analysis of competitionIf in the "physical" reality your competitors are companies that offer the same products and / or services in the country, or at least in the city, on the web the competition becomes global. Well yes, in the big house of Mr. www there are really all. And you have to deal with everyone!
In this phase we take a pattern of competitors (identified by the customer and identified by us for positioning on the network) to analyze them from every point of view: communication, design, promotion strategies, Advertising, Social behavior, User Experience, textual and multimedia content, positioning on Google and so on. For each individual situation, we focus their strengths and weaknesses.
In the same way, we also examine a set of "inspirations", these internet sites that we particularly like due to ideas, effects, tone, content or something else but which are not necessarily in the same product category as that of the customer.
Behind a portal there is an architecture that supports the whole system, exactly as it happens for a house. It is the so-called sitemap, the navigation and information flow map that serves to define user paths with extreme precision.
3. The study of architecture
Order, ease of navigation, immediacy and speed, these are the main features of a modern, essential, clear website. And if we don't do it from the start, everything becomes more difficult.
4. The content identificationWhat is this page about? And what does this paragraph want to explain? It is a strategic choice, nothing is left to chance. During the identification of the contents we choose what to say to the client, based on both the business objective and the user's need.
You could ask yourself how we, web designers, copywriters and digital professionals know what a site for hydraulic connections must communicate, for example? Or a beauty center? The analysis of the competitors, we talked about before, gets us completely prepared for this phase of work, becoming "experts" in the communication of the sector, having very clear what works and what works less in the competition.
5. The wireframeAll this study translates into wireframe processing, which is nothing more than the skeleton of the internet site, a first complete but still schematic, not real visual representation. Each page is carefully designed, including text, images, videos, CTAs, banners and everything the designer has planned.
The prototype is ready to develop.
The intermediate meeting with the customer is essential to get feedback regarding the work carried out so far and the project in progress. It's time to confront ourselves, to add or remove elements that do not 100% reflect the company, to motivate all the strategic choices made so far.
6. Presentation to the customer
Being aware of the project visually is always beautiful, because in the end it is the one that most strikes people who are not "involved in our work". The words transformed into images always make it better ... although, told by a copywriter like me, it is difficult to admit it.
7. The communicative tone and the body copyTo console me, I like to tell you about this essential step: the elaboration of the communicative document. Can a doctor's site speak in the same way, in the same language, as a tourist portal? And a political blog in the same way as a hardware store? No, absolutely no. Thanks to the initial briefing with the client, in which we have identified the values, the philosophy and the way of communicating of the company, we create a sort of "work horizon" for the copywriters, defining with the maximum possible precision which features must and must not have the Tone of Voice.
Yes, the text must have a well-defined personality and a clear direction, for any reality and in any situation ... if you do not find it, the copy has not done its duty.
Ready, steady, go ... super mug of black coffee near the keyboard, inspirational music and the writing all the textual contents of the website can start.
8. The moodboardIt is a creative table that the designer prepares to collect images and inspirational suggestions for the project. It can contain photos, colors, writings, fonts, objects, characters ... everything that can help us graphically to recreate the atmosphere in an immediate way.
9. The multimedia productionHere we could easily open a separate discussion, and I will, promised. In this phase of the project there will be a photo shoot and video recording, that is all the multimedia contents that are included in the wireframe. Communication must in fact be coherent at 360 degrees, in the tone of the voice for the texts as well as in the style of the images and the type of video.
10. The layoutWe can finally see our creature! After 9 months of gestation ... ah no, that's for us mammals, for the website it could be even less if everything proceeds as it should. Every one of our projects is so pampered and cared for in detail that there is always a bit of excitement during the preparation and presentation of the layout.
For the uninitiated, the layout is the static photograph of what will be the dynamic website, therefor are a series of PDF images that show us how it will look for colors, layout, fonts, images, interactions, navigation, and so on.
Also in this case we ask for a meeting with the client to motivate all the choices.
11. IT developmentThis is an extremely substantial phase that involves the Back End developers (with regard to the site infrastructure, the data processing system, everything that is not visible to the user) and Front End (interactions, effects, graphics and everything that has to do with user navigation).
Compared to the other web agencies that I have met for various reasons in my life, I can say that this is a great strength for Glacom, a flagship that hardly anyone else has: an internal computer network able to develop new functions, management, apps and any other element without having to ask third parties.
12. Content insertion and SEO optimizationThanks to the presence of the control panel we can now insert all the contents prepared by the Copywriter, selected for the project and we can move on to optimization for search engines by creating metatags, structured data, sitemap.xml and face up to all the technical steps of communication to Google (robot.txt, follow / nofollow and so on).
To evaluate the results over time of the portal, we insert the project in the various tools we use (but for this I will prepare, a second promise, an analysis of the processes also with regard to the SEO).
Finally we arrived at the time of the launch of the brand new web site, not before having checked and tested all the functions, the contact forms, the internal links, the images. It is important to make a complete check on everything to verify that there are no errors of any kind.
13. The testing and launch
The creation of a Glacom website versus free portalsExplaining all this process, involving more professionals (Account, Digital Stategist, SEO Specialist, Copywriter, Art Director, Web Designer, web analytics Strategist, photographers, film maker, front-end IT and back-end) and includes a large number of hours of study, analysis and design just to personalize the work, it seems almost obvious to say what are the differences between Glacom and any portal that offers websites pre-made for free.
I'm not here to talk about it badly, far from it, also because the public that turns to a web agency like ours is profoundly different from the one that is looking online for a site to be created for free. Our customer needs visibility management on the web at 360 degrees, which does not stop at the creation of the portal alone but also includes search engine positioning projects, DEM, Social Media Marketing and more.
One thing is certain, entrusting yourself to Glacom you can be sure of always being one step ahead, of obtaining an extremely modern and avant-garde work, precisely because it is our strong point, the thing we care about most. We have a permanent and continuous training path that pushes us to do better and better, to keep us updated, to discover first of all the changes taking place in the digital sector.
If you are not scared of a job done with the attributes ... or rather "with flakes" (which is kinder and more agreeable said by a lady - oh how "lady" sounds bad, it makes immediately Old style - let's change, say sissy!), please contact us. We propose a tough path that gives great satisfaction.